Thalang - Part of Phuket's History

Phuket was once known as KohThalang (Salang or Chalang, before officially being changed to Thalang in the reign of King Rama 3rd). Thalang was originally the main town of Phuket and plays an important part in the history of Phuket. In early days most of Phuket was forest inhabited by wild animals such as tigers and elephants. The ground was rich with tin deposits and so the local people would dig for tin as well as working on the land cultivating crops for their own use. People came from neighbouring countries and other provinces to make a living, so land was allocated by the head of the town, usually near a stream or canal and housing was built close together with small tracks running between the houses so that the villagers could help look after each other's safety. Crops would be shared and exchanged, each of the families would help each other work the fields and plantations, and hence the villagers had a strong community spirit. Tin had to be sold to the head of the town ' Jao Muang' who in turn was responsible for buying tools and equipment for the work, trading with merchants from overseas and also for developing the area.

Thalang is now best known for the two Heroine sisters who lead the local villagers in a battle against the Burmese during the Burmese - Siam War. They defeated the Burmese on 13th March 1785 and a monument to the two sisters stands in the middle of Thepkasattri Road, the road that runs from Sarasin Bridge down to Phuket Town. Some years later Phuket Town became the main administrative area and Thalang was given the status of 'Amphur' (a second level administrative zone or district) in 1898.


There are several things to do in Thalang and can be combined into a full day tour, they are as follows:

Heading north from Phuket 
The Heroine's Monument on Thepkasattri Road.
Wat Manik (Wat Thepwanaram) near Anthem Wakepark justb turn left at the Heroine's Monument.
Wat Sri Sunthorn just north of Heroine's Monument
Wat Pra Nang Sang just look for the Giants at the entrance before the traffic lights.
Wat Muang Gommarapat Take a left down Tanon Bahn Riang
Ajarn Lieap Chanaseuk Museum not far from Wat Muang Gommarapat
Bahn Thao Thepkasattri near the canal that runs beside the main road to Surin Beach (see map on blog)
Sarasin Bridge (Take a walk over to Phang Nga province too!)

Heading south back to Phuket
Wat Pratong look for a sign, turn left and follow a small road to the temple. Easy to miss.
Thalang National Museum close to the Heroine's monument. Turn left if heading south from the Airport
Sarn Jao Tha Reua (Chinese Temple) Can't miss it as it is roadside.
Bahn Phraya Wichitsongkram (which can be accessed from Sarn Jao Tha Reua)

Thalang administrative area stretches from the very north of Phuket at Sarasin Bridge down both east and west coasts until it meets with Kathu and Nakorn Phuket. In the past much of the land was dredged for tin which destroyed the forest. When tin mining came to an end the local villagers returned to agriculture, many planting crops for their own consumption. Despite tourism Thalang still remains an important agricultural area for Phuket with the main crops being rubber and Phuket's own pineapple as well as rice, durian, and coconuts. Fishing also plays a part in the local income, as does prawn farming


พื้นที่เดิมของเกาะถลาง หรือ เกาะภูเก็ต ในแผนที่ของคลอดิอุส ปโตเลมี ประมาณ พ.ศ. 700 ระบุไว้ในชื่อ JUNK CEYLON เมื่อครั้งที่หลวงจีนอี้จิงเดินทางผ่านไปสืบพระพุทธศาสนาเรียกบริเวณนี้เป็น SILAN เปลี่ยนเสียงเป็น สลาง ในสมัยสุโขทัย มีปรากฏในจดหมายเหตุไทย - ฝรั่งเศส เป็น Jun Salon ฝ่ายเอกสารไทยใช้ ฉลาง มาจนถึงรัชกาลที่ 3 จึงมีปรากฏคำ ถลาง แทนชื่ออื่นทั้งหมด

ในหัวเมืองฝั่งทะเลตะวันตกของภาคใต้มีศูนย์กลางปกครองที่เมืองถลาง เจ้าเมืองถลางจะได้รับโปรดเกล้าฯเป็นผู้สำเร็จราชการแปดหัวเมือง (เมืองกระ เมืองคุระ เมืองคุรอด เมืองตะกั่วป่า เมืองตะกั่วทุ่ง (บางคลี) เมืองกราภูงา เมืองภูเก็จ และเมืองถลาง)

ศูนย์กลางการปกครองเมืองถลางในสมัยสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัวบรมโกศ อยู่ที่บ้านลิพอน (ตำบลศรีสุนทร)มีพญาถลางคางเสงเป็นเจ้าเมือง ย้ายไปอยู่ที่บ้านดอน (ตำบลเทพกระษัตรี)มีพญาถลางจอมเฒ่าบ้านดอนเป็นเจ้าเมือง และเกาะบ้านเคียน (ตำบลเทพกระษัตรี) ในสมัยกรุงธนบุรีมีพญาถลางจอมรั้งบ้านเคียน พญาถลางอาด พญาถลางชู พญาสุรินทราชาพิมลอัยาขัน เป็นเจ้าเมือง พ.ศ.๒๓๒๙ มีพญาเพชรคีรีศรีพิชัยสงครามรามคำแหง(เทียน ประทีป ณ ถลาง) เป็นเจ้าเมือง ถัดไปเป็นพระยาถลางฤกษ์ (จันทโรจวงศ์) พญาถลางทับ พญาถลางคิน และพญาถลางชู(เจ้าเมืองถลางคนสุดท้าย)

อำเภอถลางในอดีตเป็นเมืองของสองวีรสตรีท้าวเทพกระษัตรี และ ท้าวศรีสุนทร เดิมเรียกว่า อำเภอเมืองถลาง มีเจ้าเมืองปกครองเรียกว่า พระยาถลาง ได้จัดตั้งเป็นอำเภอ เมื่อปี พ.ศ. 2441